This quick and easy pound cake gets rave reviews but it’ll be your secret that it starts with a mix!
Delicious Cake The Easy Way
I was craving a cream cheese pound cake a while ago. However, I wasn’t craving making it from scratch as I was particularly lazy that day.
So having Google as my bestie when it comes to finding stuff I want, I searched and found this cake on Genius Kitchen. The recipe got rave reviews and I had all the ingredients so why not? I also wanted to use my NordicWare Heritage pan that I’d just rediscovered and dusted off. I’m at that stage now where I have things I’ve completely forgotten about and that cake pan was one of those things!
The original recipe called for vanilla and almond extract. However, I thought the amount of almond extract was particularly low, given the size of the cake. So what I did since I’m a lover of almond and not so much a lover of vanilla was doubled the amount of the almond extract. I’ve done this in other recipes so I know omitting the vanilla won’t produce strange flavors.
Likewise if you are the opposite of me and prefer vanilla to almond, just omit the almond and double the vanilla. Same goes for any extract you like.
Simple Finishing Touch
You can serve this cake totally unadorned if you wish. It’s flavor really speaks for itself.
However, given that my very simple cake looked so elegant baked in that Heritage pan, I wanted to make it look special so I dusted it with some confectioner’s sugar. That was just the touch it needed!
It would also be nice with a simple and tart lemon glaze. If you choose to use the glaze, poking a few holes with a cake tester would let the flavor infuse.
Quick Cream Cheese Pound Cake
- 1 2-layer size box butter recipe cake mix
- 8 oz. cream cheese at room temp
- 1 ⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 4 eggs
- 1 ⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 ⁄2 cup water
- 2 tsp almond extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 10-inch tube pan with non-stick or baking spray
- Bring cream cheese to room temperature. (This will keep the batter from becoming lumpy.).
- Place all ingredients in large mixing bowl.
- Mix with electric mixer on low for one minute until all combined.
- Mix at medium for two minutes.
- Batter should look uniform and thick.
- Bake at 350°F for about 45 minutes or until cake springs back when touched.
*Recipe adapted from Genius Kitchen