These pumpkin chocolate chip energy bites are a great healthy snack and are delicious too!
A Mini Muffin That’s An Energy Bite
Here’s a mini muffin that fills two roles.
If you look no further, it’s just a delicious chocolate chip pumpkin mini muffin. But a closer look shows it’s other side–it’s a healthy snack that fills the bill for an energy bite.
These “bites” are filled with pumpkin, oats and dark chocolate. I understand all those things are quite healthy too!
So these muffin bites are not only delicious, but good for you too!
Pans And Liners
You will need a mini muffin pan to make these. In fact, you’ll probably need two pans because this recipe makes a large amount,
I used mini muffin papers mainly because I didn’t want to have to clean the pan, but if you don’t have the paper liners, then a light spray will prevent the muffins from sticking.
I was able to find mini muffin papers in my local dollar store of all places, but you can find them anywhere cake decorating supplies are sold. Just be aware that sometimes the papers can be labeled as “candy” papers as they are often used for chocolate-dipped candies and nut clusters.
Freeze The Extras
While these will disappear quickly because they are so delicious, this recipe makes about 36 to 40 mini muffins (depending on how much you fill each cup).
They will keep about 4-5 days if kept in an air-tight container such as a Lock & Lock container.
However, if you want to preserve freshness so you can serve them at a later date, these mini muffins freeze well with no loss of flavor.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- ¾ cup sugar
- ¾ cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 egg
- ¾ tsp vanilla
- 1 cup quick oats
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1½ cups chocolate chips
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Spray or line 2 24 cup mini muffin pans with mini muffin papers.
- Cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in egg, pumpkin and vanilla. Combine flour, oats, baking soda and cinnamon in a separate bowl; mix well.
- Add the flour mixture to the creamed mixture, mixing well. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Fill each muffin well ¾ full.
- You will probably end up with empty cups in one mini muffin pan--fill those ¾ full with water.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the muffin comes out clean.