As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
|Pork with Caramelized Mushrooms & Green Beans|
No one will believe this Asian-inspired pork and green bean stir fry is not only low on sodium, but low in fat as well!
In the past, I never found anything that really interested me until this month. It was this recipe that caught my eye because I love green beans and pork and especially sriracha because of it’s great flavor.
|You won’t believe it’s actually healthy!|
I have to say that I will try most anything I find interesting but sometimes the anticipation is better than the realization with such things. Given that this dish is low sodium and low fat, I wasn’t expecting it to actually be a keeper.
All I can say is WOW…this is really good! And yes, it’s well worth doing the couple of things like caramelizing the mushrooms and browning the pork separately. The recipe actually suggested using separate pans, but I HATE to wash dishes, so I just used the same one for the mushrooms and pork.
|Serve with some jasmine rice|
Another thing I changed was I did not use cooking spray to do the mushrooms. I pretty much despise that substance except for using it to “grease” baking pans and a nice olive oil tastes way better than silicone and it is all natural.
What I did here was buy some cheaper pork chops and grind the meat using my grinding attachment to my stand mixer. It’s a lot more economical and you can control the amount of fat that’s in the meat.
So enjoy this…I really did. And serving it with jasmine rice really kicks it up a notch.
Pork with Caramelized Mushrooms & Green Beans
- 1 lb lean ground pork
- 8 oz sliced mushrooms I used baby bellas
- 1 small onion sliced
- 1 tbs minced garlic
- 1 tbs grated fresh ginger
- 12 oz bag washed & trimmed fresh whole green beans
- 2 tbs oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tbs reduced sodium soy sauce reg can be used too
- 2 tbs mirin or white wine
- 1 tbs rice vinegar
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp sriracha
- 1 tsp dark sesame oil
- Whisk together all the sauce ingredients in a small bowl; set aside.
- Heat 1 tbs oil in a large skillet or wok over high heat. Add the sliced mushrooms and cook until they release all their liquid and begin to brown. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add the ground pork to the same skillet and cook over high heat until pork is cooked and begins to brown. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add the remaining 1 tbs of oil to the wok/skillet and add the garlic, ginger, onion and green beans. Stir fry until very aromatic--about 1-2 minutes. Add the water and cook until green beans are crisp-tender; about 2 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and ground pork back to the pan. Whisk the sauce again to make sure all the sugar is dissolved and pour over the pork mixture.
- Stir and toss to blend well and cook until most of the liquid is absorbed.
- Serve with jasmine rice.
- Makes 4 servings.
Copyright © Judith Hannemann aka The Midnight Baker 2015. All Rights Reserved. No part of this website may be reproduced without The Midnight Baker’s express consent.