Your family is sure to love this Parmesan mushroom chicken and so will you because it’s so easy!
Simple Is Delicious
I can always count on my friend Maria for recipes that are not only quick and easy, but totally delicious too. If you haven’t visited her site, Maria’s Mixing Bowl, you are really missing out on some great recipes. She and hubby Rob are total foodies, but much like me, don’t want to complicate their lives with fussing over a recipe.
This recipe for Parmesan mushroom chicken is from her site and I only tweaked it a little bit. That’s the great thing–her recipes are so good you don’t have to change a thing!
Start With Basic Ingredients
I’ll bet you have everything you need to make this right in your pantry and freezer.
My freezer is always well stocked with boneless skinless chicken breast because I buy it in bulk when it’s at ridiculously low prices then I vacuum seal it in my Foodsaver. Therefore, I always have this on hand.
But if you are lucky enough to have some chicken tenders in your freezer, they are perfect for this recipe. Tenders are already cut into serving-sized portions so slicing is eliminated. Standard breast halves will require slicing, however that’s no big deal really.
I didn’t have any fresh mushrooms on hand–which is strange–but I did have canned so I used them. As for the parsley, I definitely have a jar of the dried variety, but I prefer fresh so you will often find a bunch of Italian flat leaf in my crisper. This is an ingredient I find pretty basic so it’s on my weekly shopping list.
And seriously, who doesn’t have some grated Parmesan or Romano in the fridge? I always do and that’s one tweak I gave this recipe. I used half Romano and half Parmesan because I like the depth of flavor Romano gives a recipe.
It’s A Skillet Dinner Too
You have the option of doing this dinner totally in the skillet. All you have to do is cook the chicken a bit longer to make sure it’s done instead of just browning it. Then, you’ll have to reduce the sauce slightly so it sticks to the chicken.
If you do it in the oven, the chicken will finish cooking in there, the sauce will reduce by itself and the cheese topping will get to be a lovely golden brown color, and to me, that’s a lot more appetizing. However, if you’re pressed for time, go with the skillet method since it’s a bit quicker.
Parmesan Mushroom Chicken
- 4 chicken breasts sliced into strips - see NOTES
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbs minced fresh parsley see NOTES
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 8 oz sliced mushrooms if using canned, drain them
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese or parmesan/romano combo, plus more for topping
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Lightly spray a 11 x 7-inch baking dish.
- Heat olive oil in a saute pan. Salt and pepper chicken . Cook chicken about 2 minutes on either side. Add garlic, mushrooms, parsley, and saute for a few minutes.
- Add cream and cheese. Cook for a few minutes and turn off heat.
- Transfer to the prepared baking dish and add a bit more grated cheese on top and bake for 25 minutes
- Chicken tenders may be subbed for the chicken breasts
- If using dried parsley, use 1 tsp
*Adapted from Maria’s Mixing Bowl
*Post may contain affiliate links