This chicken is loaded with creamed spinach, delicious sauteed mushrooms and plenty of cheese. Fussy but well worth it
Trust me. There is a piece of chicken under all that cheese and mushrooms!
OK…this one is a little more fussy than what I usually do, but when I first saw this chicken dish in a photo, my tongue was hanging out so far it was almost to the floor and I was drooling immensely. When I get that reaction, I WILL fuss!
The original recipe comes from BaconButterCheeseGarlic. I have to say my philosophy is about the same as hers regarding basic food groups…those stated in her website’s name. I made a few minor changes in the original, basically I didn’t par cook the chicken in the oven. I used seasoned flour and browned in butter (a basic food group LOL). I used baby bella mushrooms instead because of the increased flavor. If you visit that link there are some drool-worthy fried smashed potatoes that I could dive right into. There’s also an incredible tip for sauteeing mushrooms that I never knew and was glad that I read it.
This is insanely delicious, definitely on my regular rotation now–but there’s only one change I’m making and the recipe I give contains that change–I’m using LESS cheese. Now I never thought I’d EVER say those words, but even for me the original had too much cheese. So next time I use half the amount.
I served with a baked potato, but this would be super with rice or pasta.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 bag (large size) baby spinach
- 10 oz baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- ¼ cup + 2 tbs unsalted butter
- 4 tbs olive oil, divided
- 2 tbs chopped onion
- 4 garlic cloves, minced, divided
- ½ cup dry white wine
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 4 thick slices whole milk mozzarella
- Seasoned Flour:
- ½ cup flour
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- Mix the seasoned flour ingredients and place on a large plate
- Dredge each chicken breast in the seasoned flour
- Melt 2 tbs of the butter in a large skillet.
- Brown chicken breasts on each side until they are golden brown. Remove from pan and set aside.
- For The Mushrooms:
- In the same skillet the chicken was browned in, add the remaining butter and 2 tbs olive oil
- Add the mushrooms and brown over medium heat.
- Add the wine and half of the minced garlic and scrape up all the browned bits on the bottom of the pan.
- Continue cooking until the wine is absorbed. Remove from pan and set aside.
- For The Creamed Spinach:
- In a deep saucepan over medium heat, add the remaining 2 tbs of olive oil; heat through
- Add the chopped onion and saute about 5 minutes.
- Add the spinach and the garlic and cook until spinach is wilted
- Add the Parmesan and cream cheeses
- Cook until cream cheese is melted.
- Remove from heat and set aside
- To Assemble:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Place chicken in a 13 x 9-inch baking dish
- Top with the mushrooms
- Next top with the creamed spinach
- Place 1 slice of cheese over each chicken breast
- Bake for about 20-25 minutes or until cheese is melted and begins to brown.