Invite these Hawaiian dogs to your next cookout and watch your guest flip over them! Great taste and easy too.
These Hawaiian Dogs Don’t Bite
Here’s some “dogs” that are full of flavor!
First you have the tanginess of sweet grilled pineapple. Then top that all of with some insanely delicious marinated then grilled red onions!
Your Choice Of Dogs
While the original recipe calls for good old hot dogs, a suggestion for a substitution was apple or mango flavored chicken sausage.
I chose to use the chicken sausage because I felt the relish paired a whole lot better with chicken than traditional franks, mainly because I prefer chicken. As luck would have it, chicken sausage was on sale the week I made these.
Grilling Fruits And Veggies
Fruits and veggies taste fantastic when they are grilled.
For larger pieces of fruit–such as the pineapple rings I used here–your regular grill grates are all the equipment you need.
However, for smaller pieces you’d do better with a grill wok or frying pan. That way, smaller pieces won’t fall through the grates. That type of pan is pretty much a necessity for grilling the marinated onions.
I bought one of these pans years ago, and it’s one of the best investments I made when it comes to BBQ accessories. Fortunately, they are inexpensive and last for years. I got mine at Amazon.
They Disappeared Quickly
I brought the whole lot I made of these over to a friend’s auto repair shop to see how well they went over with the guys who work for him. These dogs disappeared very quickly and everyone said they tasted great. One employee happens to have a culinary education so I consider his opinion solid gold.
- 8 fully cooked apple or mango flavored chicken sausage
- 8 hot dog buns
- 2 cups grilled pineapple I used rings
- 1 medium red onion sliced about 1/4-inch thick
- 1/2 cup sliced green onion
- 2 tbs sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbs soy sauce
- 2 tbs brown sugar
- 1 tsp red Thai chili paste
- 1 tbs oil
- Mix all marinade ingredients in a medium bowl. Add the sliced red onion and toss to coat. Marinate for 30 minutes; remove the onions and discard marinade.
- Heat a gas grill to medium heat (about 350℉). Place the onions on a grill pan and cook for about 5 minutes or until onions begin to get soft and have some grill marks. Remove and set aside.
- Place the pineapple rings on the grill and cook on both sides making sure to get grill marks on each side. Remove from the grill and dice when cool enough to handle.
- Toast the hot dog buns on the grill. Remove and set aside.
- Grill the chicken sausage on all sides until heated through.
- Put a grilled chicken sausage in each bun, then top the sausage with about 2 tbs of the grilled diced pineapple. Divide the onions evenly between all the sausages.
- Garnish with sliced green onion and sesame seeds.
*Adapted from BHG
*Post may contain affiliate links