|Cream of Turkey & Brown Rice Soup|
This cream soup is full of brown rice, veggies and turkey. So flavorful and comforting. It’s a meal in itself!
I had an accident with a tooth a few days ago–which makes chewing a little bit difficult to say the least. Not painful at all, just a very weird sensation, however, I have to wait about a week to see my dentist because this isn’t really an emergency.
However, I want to eat something BESIDES pudding LOL–and I don’t think I’d fare too well with a diet of that for a week, so I decided a soup may be a good idea (and one that could be pureed a bit with an immersion blender) and a soup that contained a bit of fibre and veggies.
I love cream soups! Plus I love brown rice. I also had 2 turkey drumsticks I’d roasted in the slow cooker for a post I was writing for a friend who edits the food section of Bon Bon Break. Great deal because I couldn’t manage eating those leftover turkey legs with this tooth so I was glad to use them AND I had a hankering for that turkey to be honest.
|This soup is a complete meal!|
I pureed it some with the immersion blender purely to go down easier. My pics, however, was before that process so you can see how yummy and chunky this soup is.
It tasted wonderful and hit the spot. This is a complete meal–so just a green salad as a side would be very good with this!
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- 2½ cups cold water
- 1 cup sliced baby carrots
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 tbs butter
- ½ cup chopped onion
- ½ cup chopped celery
- 3 envelopes Swanson's Flavor Boost chicken flavored stock*
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup cooked diced turkey or chicken
- 1½ cups light cream or half and half**
- NOTE: I prepared the rice and carrots in my rice cooker. For stovetop method, after rinsing and soaking the rice in the saucepan, add the carrots & olive oil, bring to boil, reduce heat, cover tightly and simmer until liquid is absorbed.
- *I love the flavor that the Swanson Flavor Boost imparts, but you can use 3 standard chicken stock cubes in it's place or 2 cups of homemade chicken stock (omitting water if using homemade).
- **Evaporated milk may be substituted for less fat
- Rinse brown rice and drain. Place rice in the insert of a rice cooker. Add the 2½ cups of water and let it soak for 45 minutes.
- Then add the sliced carrots and the olive oil. Set to "COOK". This should take about 40 minutes, but check the water level. I try not to let it start to brown on the bottom (although that would taste nice in this).
- When rice has completed the cooking cycle, heat the 2 tbs of butter over medium heat in a 4-5 quart dutch oven or stock pot. Add the celery and the onions. Cook until onions and celery are soft, stirring frequently to prevent burning.
- Add the Flavor Boost (or stock cubes) and water--if using homemade stock do NOT add the 2 cups of water!! Add the turkey or chicken and heat to boiling.
- Add the cooked brown rice and carrots, stirring well.
- Reduce heat and add cream, stirring until heated through. Add salt and pepper if needed--I needed no extra since the Swanson product is well seasoned.
- Serves about 4.
Copyright © Judith Hannemann aka The Midnight Baker 2014. All Rights Reserved. No part of this website may be reproduced without The Midnight Baker’s express consent. Yum