This cream of chicken noodle soup is so loaded with white meat chicken and veggies , it eats like a meal.
I’ve had a nice creamy chicken noodle soup on the brain lately and for the strangest reason.
Recently, my friend Pam from Skinny Sweets Daily and her whole family had one of the most terrible cases of the flu you’d ever see. I kept telling her that I’d send her some virtual chicken noodle soup to speed up her recovery. It had to be virtual because even though we are both in New York, I live upstate and she lives downstate so I couldn’t run over to her house with a pot of soup. All this talk of chicken soup sort of got me hungry for some.
This one starts out with white-meat chicken; a boneless skinless breast. Now this cut of chicken doesn’t make the tastiest stock–you need bone, fat and dark meat for that–but I have tons of skinless breast and wanted to use that in the soup itself. When I make stock the real way, I never use that meat in the soup itself. That’s strictly a treat for my dogs (my cat won’t eat chicken or turkey–he only wants his 9-Lives or dry dog food. Go figure????).
So, because I was using a part of the chicken that doesn’t deliver too much flavor for a stock, I cooked it in a really tasty store-bought variety. I used College Inn Bold Rotisserie Chicken. That has a very good flavor–almost as good as homemade. But if you are lucky enough to have some great stock in your freezer that you made, that’s the stuff to use!
This soup tastes a lot like a good pot pie filling. I didn’t put potatoes in, I used noodles. And my choice of veggies were the standard carrots, but the very non-traditional green beans. I didn’t want peas–the fact that I didn’t have any made the decision even easier! If you want to get traditional here, then use some frozen mixed vegetables.
This soup is creamy and a delight to eat. With all the breast meat and veggies in this, I’d call this a meal. A nice green salad on the side and a crusty roll is all you need.
Cream of Chicken Noodle Soup
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 quart 32 oz chicken stock (see NOTES)
- 1 cup sliced fresh carrots
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cut green beans
- 3/4 cup cream see NOTES
- 1 1/2 cups wide egg noodles
- 1/2 tsp salt optional
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Optional herb add-ins:
- 1/2 tsp dill -OR- 1 bay leaf
- Place chicken, stock, pepper, carrots and optional herb add-ins (if using) into a 4-5 quart slow cooker.
- Cover and set on high and cook for 2.5-3 hours, or until chicken is done.
- Add the egg noodle and the green beans. Continue cooking on high for an additional 30 minutes or until noodles are almost done.
- Add the cream and if the soup needs it, the salt.
- Reduce heat to low and cook for 15 minutes just to heat the cream.