As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
A favorite appetizer/dinner treat simplified.
Again, I found a bag of shrimp lurking in my freezer that I’d forgotten about. Yes, I DO forget stuff like shrimp and when I have to dig into my freezer for something else, I’m constantly surprised by buried treasure I find…mostly FORGOTTEN treasure.
So rather than do another stir fry with this, because I am getting a bit tired of stir fry, I figured why not do some coconut shrimp since I had all the fixings. I wasn’t sorry. It was great.
I’d suggest though with the coconut, to only add as much as you need on the plate. Otherwise it gets all gloppy with batter and that glop will NOT stick to the shrimp, so keep the coconut plate as clean and dry as possible. You will get some glop there, no matter how careful you are. But my solution was to form the leftover glop into balls and fry it. It was DELICIOUS!!!
- 1 lb large shrimp tail left on
- 10 tbsp all purpose flour 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup ice water
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- oil for frying
- Place enough oil in a deep heavy skillet to reach about 1-inch up the sides. You can use a deep fryer too. Heat oil to 375 degrees--a cube of bread should brown in 1 minute if oil is the correct temperature.
- Remove shells & vein from shrimp, but leave tail on as it makes it convenient to dip.
- Place coconut on a flat plate.
- In a small bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, salt, cayenne and egg. Add just enough of the ice water to make a thick batter that will cling to the shrimp.
- Dip shrimp in batter then coat with coconut. Place shrimp in hot oil and deep fry for about 3-5 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- Remove to parchment covered plate. Keep warm if frying another batch.
- Serves about 3-4 as an appetizer, 2-3 as a main dish.
Angie Schneider says
Gosh..they look so dang inviting with coconut crust!
Judith Hanneman says
Oh heck, I even fried up the gloppy batter-soaked coconut from the dedging and ate that too. It was TOTALLY awesome!!!