As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Just in time for Easter. These egg-shaped peanut butter bonbons are awesome and easy. An easy candy to make with kids!
Great Treat For Easter: Candy To Make With Kids
With Easter just around the corner everyone’s mind turns to candy eggs.
This Easter is likely to be like no Easter before with everyone self-sheltering due to this world-wide illness. But that doesn’t mean you can’t celebrate–either by yourself or if you’re all hunkered down in the same house.
If you have kiddos, this is a great project to do with them for the holiday. Who knows? It even may become a brand-new tradition from here on. With schools shut and most parents doing remote lessons with the kids or home schooling even, this just might fit into one of those “necessary life skills” classes.
More Than Deviled Eggs
Ok, so you’re thinking, “What do deviled eggs have to do with this.”
A deviled egg plate just happens to be the perfect way to shape these chocolate peanut butter bonbons. You just press the peanut butter filing in, chill and voila–an egg shape.
I will admit it’s a bit of a trick to get them out because they form a sort of vacuum between the plate and the peanut butter mixture. All you have to do is break the “seal.” I do this by using a small paring knife.
Now, if you don’t want to bother with any fancy shape, you can just form the filling into balls about the size of a walnut and take it from there. And if you’re doing these with the kiddos, that would definitely be the way I’d go–for several reasons! Let’s just say everyone can say they helped and leave it at that 🙂
Any chocolate you have on hand will be good for this.
I had some dark chocolate morsels and used those. If you have a bar of semi-sweet baking chocolate, that’s good too. White chocolate? That’ll do, although it wouldn’t be my first choice–and I love white chocolate. In this unprecedented time, use what you have. It’ll be good.
Chocolate Peanut Butter Bonbons
- 4 oz cream cheese softened
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 16 oz confectioner’s sugar 1 small bag
- 2 1/2 cups dark chocolate morsels
- 2 tbs coconut oil or shortening
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese, butter, peanut butter and vanilla until smooth. Beat in sugar. Stir in coconut if desired. Form golf-ball sized portions into egg shapes or balls. Place on waxed paper-lined baking sheets. Chill for 30 minutes.
- In a microwave-safe bowl or heavy saucepan, melt chocolate chips and coconut oil/shortening: stir until smooth. Dip in melted chocolate until coated; place on waxed paper to harden
- You can leave them plain or sprinkle with colored non pareils or sprinkles