What’s more gourmet and easy than a pasta carbonara? Add some chicken and make it extra special!
I had some leftover sauteed chicken breast from my 2-Cheese Baked Chicken Alfredo that I wanted to use before I forgot about them.
Making chicken salad just didn’t excite me. Bacon, however, did and I have plenty of that and pasta so I decided dinner for tonight would be a pasta carbonara but with chicken added!
|Very gourmet–but easy!|
It’s not absolutely necessary, but I do advise using free-range or organic eggs in this. From what I’ve read, salmonella is quite rare in free-range poultry and eggs and the same holds true for organic eggs. I usually have these on hand for soft-boiled eggs (again because of bacteria). If you don’t use organic/free-range, then please make sure the entire dish is very well heated!
You don’t have to add the wine here, but I think it makes it taste a lot better. Also, the remaining amount of olive oil is variable too–if the pasta looks too dry, then add a few drops more! And of course if you want more cheese–add it!
My pasta bowls are from Lidia Bastianich. Sadly, they have been discontinued.
- 8 oz (uncooked) spaghetti
- 4 oz cooked chicken breast, sliced
- 4 slices bacon, diced
- ¼ cup onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup dry white wine
- 3 tbs olive oil, divided
- 1 egg, beaten (preferably free-range or organic)
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan or Romano cheese
- 2 tbs chopped fresh parsley
- salt & pepper to taste
- Cook pasta per package directions. Drain and keep warm.
- In a large skillet or saute pan, cook diced bacon until brown and crispy. Remove cooked bacon to a paper towel lined plate. Drain off all but 1 tbs of the fat from the pan.
- Add 1 tbs of the olive oil to the pan with the bacon drippings. Heat oil/bacon drippings over medium-low heat. Add the onion and saute for about 3 minutes. Add the garlic, wine and the cooked chicken and saute for about 2 minutes. Add the cooked diced bacon back to the pan; stir to combine.
- Add the hot pasta to the pan and the remaining 2 tbs of olive oil. Toss to coat and heat. Add the egg and toss combining well and making sure the pasta is coated and well heated. Add the cheese and toss to combine. Add any additional salt & pepper to taste at this point.
- Plate each portion and top with chopped parsley.
- Serves 4.
Copyright © Judith Hannemann aka The Midnight Baker 2014. All Rights Reserved. No part of this website may be reproduced without The Midnight Baker’s express consent.Yum