As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
If you like bruschetta, you’ll love this one-skillet chicken dish! Simple ingredients, easy prep and thoroughly delicious!
Here’s a quick and tasty dinner that’s great for when you are pressed for time and most of us are at this time of year!
This one uses ingredients you have on hand. The only thing you might have to buy is fresh basil, although the dried variety may be used too. Most groceries sell small potted basil plants which are a good value if you like this herb because if you keep it on a sunny windowsill, it will overwinter nicely and to get it to flourish, just pinch back new growth.
The new growth isn’t wasted either if you lay it on paper towels and let it air dehydrate.
In these I used a can of fire-roasted diced tomatoes, but the plain variety and the petit diced are equally as nice. If you buy ones that are flavored with Italian herbs, you can eliminate the herbs in the recipe.
The original for this came from a recipe card I received as a teaser for a subscription ages ago. I believe it came from Time/Life but can’t be sure now as I wrote it down on my own index card.
Calamata olives would be very nice in here, but I use the less-expensive canned variety–colossal size.
I rarely buy thin-sliced chicken breast because of the price, so what I do is use regular boneless skinless breasts and slice each breast in half lengthwise.
From start to finish, this takes less than 30 minutes. It’s totally delicious and anyone I served it to asked for seconds! It’s that good!
- 4 thinly sliced boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 can 14 oz fire roasted diced tomatoes, drained and reserve liquid
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 cup sliced ripe olives
- 3 cloves garlic crushed
- 1/2 tsp salt optional
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 2 tbs roughly chopped fresh basil or 1 tsp dried basil
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan or Asiago
- 1 cup Italian flavor bread crumbs
- 2 tbs grated Romano cheese
- Mix bread crumbs and Romano cheese
- Heat a large skillet over medium--high heat; add oil
- Dredge chicken breast in crumb mixture.
- Brown chicken well on each side until chicken is cooked--about 5 minutes each side. Remove from pan, cover and keep warm.
- Add drained tomatoes, garlic, salt (if using), pepper, oregano and olives to the pan. Add 1/3 cup of the reserved tomato liquid.
- Heat through, stirring constantly, until mixture boils. Discard garlic.
- Stir in the fresh basil or the dry basil if not using fresh.
- Top chicken with tomato mixture.
- Sprinkle with shredded cheese.
- Werve with pasta