As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
A sweet biscuit with icing? Here they are–fluffy biscuits with a caramel sauce all topped with a cream cheese drizzle.
The Humble Biscuit Elevated
I think everyone loves a good flaky biscuits dripping with butter. But who really thinks about making this a sweet treat? If you want to get technical, since biscuits are a major part of strawberry shortcake, it already has. But having the biscuit itself stand alone is a different matter. And a sweet biscuit with icing no less.
To avoid any confusion here for my British readers who are thinking, “Well of course biscuits are sweet,” I’m referring to American baking powder biscuits. The terminology can be a bit confusing at times because in UK, biscuits are cookies. Don’t get me started on flapjacks. In the USA, that’s a pancake, but in UK it’s a lot like our granola bars (and they’re delicious if you want to try them).
These biscuits are special because instead of dripping with butter, these are dripping in caramel sauce. Then it’s topped off with a delicious cream cheese drizzle.
There’s a lot of choice here too since you can go homemade or store bought.
There are some really delicious store-bought caramel sauces so you needn’t feel any guilt using them. And if you want a quick dessert, this is the way to go.
You can make your own and it’s pretty easy too. The recipe is written for homemade caramel sauce. The ingredients are pretty basic and are items that are on hand in any well-stocked pantry. The only drawback is that sometimes the sauce can get gritty if it’s not cooked enough then cools. It doesn’t, however, affect the taste.
Oh That Icing
The icing is about the only thing you have to make from scratch, but believe me when I say that it’s worth it.
This is so good, you may want to eat it all by itself! There’s one caveat here–take the time to sift the confectioner’s sugar. It’s a step I often would eliminate because it’s tedious and often a bit messy. Needless to say, I got poor results each time I did.
Caramel Cream Cheese Biscuits
- 1 can refrigerated “grands-style” biscuits 8 count (or your own favorite recipe)
Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 4 oz softened cream cheese
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 to 4 tbs milk
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup light cream or half-n-half
- Bake biscuits as per package/recipe directions. Cool on a rack.
- Prepare caramel sauce by placing all sauce ingredients in a small saucepan heating over low heat and stirring frequently. Bring it to a boil and cook for 5 minutes stirring constantly at this point. Remove from heat and cool slightly.
- Prepare icing by beating the softened cream cheese and powdered sugar until smooth and creamy. Add the vanilla and enough milk until the consistency is such that it can be drizzled.
- Assemble by drizzling about 2 tablespoons of caramel sauce over each biscuit then drizzle with the icing.
Store-bought caramel sauce may be substituted for the homemade.