|Bacon Quinoa Salad with Garlic/Lime/Honey Dressing|
This is a very tasty and filling salad especially for bacon and garlic lovers. Bacon is used merely as a condiment, but adds it’s delightful flavor. Combine this with the nuttiness of the quinoa, the crunchiness of the sugar snap peas and the sweet-sour piquant dressing and this is a winner for a light dinner.
Serve this with a well-chilled white. I suggest a Chardonnay.
- 4 strips of thick-cut smoked bacon, diced
- ½ pound sugar snap peas
- 1-1/2 cups quinoa, dry
- 2 cups chicken stock or broth
- ⅓ cup pumpkin seeds
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
- ½ teaspoon olive oil
- ¼ tsp salt
- Juice of 1 lime
- 3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced finely
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Blanch snap peas for one minute in boiling water. Remove immediately and place in a bowl of ice water. Remove from ice water after 2 minutes, drain and pat dry. Cut into 1-inch pieces.
- Cook bacon by method of choice (I used the microwave) until crisp. Drain and set aside.
- Bring the 2 cups of stock to a boil in a large saucepan. Add quinoa and stir. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until all the liquid is absorbed, about 15 minutes.. Note: I use a rice cooker to prepare quinoa as it cooks exactly like rice. Fluff quinoa and transfer to a bowl and let it come to room temperature.
- In a small frypan, add the pumpkin seeds and sesame seeds. Cook over low heat, stirring, until roasted and fragrant. Add the olive oil and salt and stir.
- In another bowl, combine all dressing ingredients and stir well.
- Add the pumpkin seed/sesame see mixture to quinoa. Add the snap peas. Combine all well. Add dressing and toss. Crumble bacon. Top salad with crumbled bacon.
- May be served chilled or at room temperature. Serves 4.