|Bacon Cheeseburger Meatloaf|
Calling all bacon cheesburger fans. This is your meatloaf! Eat it hot or cold on a bun–just like the burger joints.
I have to admit that generic meatloaf is not my favorite thing to eat. I have discovered another good one quite by accident, and that’s my Maple Meatloaf where what I thought was going to be a disaster became one of the best I ever tasted.
|Just like the burger joints|
Since I love bacon cheeseburgers, I figured I’d have a go at something that resembled that so I tried this with classic steak/burger seasonings.
I chose to top the meatloaf with bacon rather than include it in the mix. To me, it was more like a real cheeseburger that way. I made a fancy lattice and wrapped the formed loaf in that, but if you are not so inclined, laying bacon across the top and tucking it under will do just as well.
If you want to bake this in a classic loaf pan, then you have to wrap it with bacon before putting it in the pan. I rarely use a loaf pan to bake meatloaf due to the fat. I prefer to shape it into a loaf and bake it on a rack in an oblong pan. That way, the fat just renders out and the meat isn’t sitting in it, and with this particular meatloaf, there will be fat because of the bacon.
- 2 lbs very lean ground beef
- ¾ cup plain bread crumbs
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 tbs worcestershire sauce -OR- steak sauce
- 1-2 tbs ketchup (use the 1 tbs if using steak sauce)
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, cut into ¼-1/2-inch cubes
- 8-10 slices bacon*
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, mix all ingredients except the bacon. Form into a loaf shape.
- Top with either a fancy bacon lattice, or lay strips across the top. Make sure to tuck the bacon under the bottom of the meatloaf.
- Place in an oblong pan (I used 11 x 7-inches with a rack) and bake for 50-60 minutes or until internal temperature is 160 degrees F.
- Serves 6-8
|Bacon Cheeseburger Meatloaf–gobs of cheese!|
Copyright © Judith Hannemann aka The Midnight Baker 2014. All Rights Reserved. No part of this website may be reproduced without The Midnight Baker’s express consent.Yum