Not your traditional strawberry shortcake! This creamy layered dessert is based on a rich shortbread crust.
Several of us content creators for a major culinary website were approached to develop a strawberry shortcake-like dessert for a leading berry producer. I was up to this challenge because I just love strawberries.
Honestly, I’m not much into strawberry shortcake though, but I do love strawberry cheesecake, so I based my dessert off that. And keeping with the “shortcake,” I decided to make a layered strawberries and cream dessert with a rich shortbread cookie crust.
|Another angle to strawberry shortcake|
Yes, the dessert is a little involved to make–there’s steps and a chilling process, but it’s easy to do. It’s just that there’s no instant gratification for this–waiting is involved!
I caution that it’s a bit messy to cut if you want perfect slices. Just cut with a wet and sharp knife and a offset spatula will help you remove the portions. But if it does fall apart, why worry? We’re going for taste here, not beauty!
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 cup confectioner's sugar
- 1/2 cup 1 stick butter
- Cream Filling:
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 3 tbs confectioners sugar
- 1/4 cup milk or half and half
- 1 tsp unflavored gelatin
- Strawberry Layer:
- 1 pkg 4-serving size strawberry gelatin
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh strawberries
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/4 cup cold water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 8x8 or 9x9-inch baking pan with non-stick spray.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour and confectioner's sugar; mix well. Cut butter into chunks and add to flour mixture. Cut in butter, as if you were making a pie crust--you can use a pastry blender, 2 knives or your hands. The mixture should look like small peas.
- Press crust into prepared pan. Bake at 350 degrees F for 20-25 minutes or until crust begins to brown around edges. Remove from oven and cool completely.
- Prepare cream filling: Place cream/milk in a heatproof container. Sprinkle unflavored gelatin on cream/milk. Let sit for 5 minutes to soften.
- Beat cream cheese and confectioner's sugar until well blended.
- Heat cream mixture in microwave until very hot--about 20 seconds. Stir until gelatin is completely dissolved.
- Beat cream/gelatin mixture into cream cheese mixture. Pour on top of crust. Chill while preparing strawberry topping.
- Strawberry topping: In a small bowl, mix strawberry gelatin with the hot water; stir until gelatin is dissolved. Add cold water. Place bowl in refrigerator and chill until gelatin just begins to mound. It should look like congealed stock.
- Add the sliced strawberries and stir well to distribute. Pour on top of cream cheese layer of dessert. Chill until very firm--about 4 hours.
- When ready to serve, let dessert sit at room temperature about 5-10 minutes. Cut with a wet knife. Serve with whipped cream or whipped topping.
- Serves 9
Copyright © Judith Hannemann aka The Midnight Baker 2014. All Rights Reserved. No part of this website may be reproduced without The Midnight Baker’s express consent.
Follow The’s board ♨Hot Fun in the Summertime Blog Hop♨ on Pinterest.Yum