As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Do this spicy orange chicken on the BBQ or in the oven.
If You Love Spicy Orange Chicken…
You will love this recipe then!
The flavor comes from the sauce which also makes a great baste or dipping sauce for this chicken or any other.
It’s pretty much based off of the standard orange chicken, but is ever so much simpler to make. Keep in mind that there’s nothing fancy about this as far as ingredients go. If you have a well-stocked cupboard, you’ve likely got everything you need to make this.
Choose The Chicken
As far as the chicken is concerned, choose the smallest chicken you can find. Years ago, they used to call these “fryers” or “broiler/fryers” and they were around 3 pounds. This is why I recommend getting a whole chicken and cutting it up yourself. What’s sold as parts are often humungous and would take too long to cook. If you do choose parts, drumsticks or small thighs would be the way to go provided no one wants white meat.
Where I’ve used skin-on chicken, this will work (and maybe better) with skinless so the meat gets flavored. I have not tried this but I would imagine the cooking time would have to be reduced, especially if it was boneless as well.
To Grill Or Not To Grill
Some areas are lucky enough to be able to use their outdoor grills year round. In such a case, this is perfect for those folks. I don’t live in an area such as that being in the northeast. However, I’m still able to grill outside because my BBQ is on my deck.
But with the advent of indoor smokeless electric grills and air fryers, “grilling” indoors presents no problems either. However, your good old-fashioned oven works pretty well for this recipe too. Under those conditions, you can’t get grill marks, but you can brown the chicken first or pop it under the broiler at the end of cooking.
Spicy Orange Sriracha BBQ Chicken
- 3 lb chicken cut up or equivalent pieces
- 1 cup orange marmalade
- 2 tbs Sriracha
- 2 tsp fresh thyme or 1 tsp dried
- Salt & pepper to taste
- For oven method: Preheat oven to 375F/190C. Line a large baking sheet with foil or non-stick parchment.
- Place marmalade in a small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on high 30 seconds or until marmalade is melted and can drizzle from a spoon. Mix in remaining sauce ingredients Reserve about 1 cup of the sauce for dipping/basting.
- Lightly oil chicken parts. If you are doing this on an outside grill, grill the parts over direct heat for about 4 minutes in order to get grill marks. You may do this on a stovetop grill pan as well.
- If you do the chicken in the oven, Brown in a large skillet.
- Please note the above steps for browning/grill marks are not necessary—they are done for appearance sake.
- For oven: Coat chicken with sauce and place on prepared sheet. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until temperature registers 165F/75C. For extra caramelization, pop under the broiler for a few minutes.
- Outdoor grill method: Coat chicken with sauce. Cook chicken over indirect heat (place on unlit side of the grill) until internal temp is 165F/75C. Depending on the grill temp and chicken part size, this should take a minimum of 30 minutes.