As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Salisbury steak is a great American comfort food and it cooks low and slow in your crock pot. The family will love this and so will you!
Salisbury Steak: Easy And Comforting
When I think “comfort food,” salisbury steak is always in that list.
It’s pretty easy to make and it’s inexpensive too. Hence, it’s a great budget meal.
A Meal Made For The Slow Cooker
Where salisbury steak is usually made on the stove top or oven, it’s an excellent recipe to convert to the slow cooker.
All you need to do is brown the patties. As long as they are browned and formed, the patties are safe to make in the slow cooker. Most cookbooks and slow cooker manufacturers caution agains the use of raw ground beef in the slow cooker. However, since the patties are technically partially cooked and the amount of time necessary to cook, these would be considered “safe.”
Simple Is Delicious
This recipe is amazingly simple and has few ingredients.
As far as seasoning for the meat, you have two choices. I use a packet of G. Washington’s Brown Seasoning, but often that is not available in certain parts of the country. If your store stocks it, this product will either be by the stocks and bouillon cubes or in the kosher section. I find the latter odd, but that’s where my store stocks this product.
If you cannot find the Washington’s seasoning, then au jus gravy mix is a good substitute.
Slow Cooker Salisbury Steak
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup thickly sliced onion 1 medium
- 1 envelope au jus gravy mix
- 1 tsp Gravy Master -OR- Kitchen Bouquet
- 2-3 tbsp flour
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 envelope G. Washington's Brown Seasoning -OR- 2 tbs au jus gravy mix
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 3 slices white bread soaked in water or milk
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbs oil
- Squeeze water or milk out of the bread.
- Place ground beef, seasoning, onions, eggs and squeezed bread in a large bowl. Mix well and form into patties about 4-5 oz.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil and brown the patties on both sides; place browned patties in a 5-7 quart slow cooker.
- Mix the water, sliced onion, gravy mix and Gravy Master in a small bowl. Pour over patties.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours, high 4-6 hours (times are approximate as all cookers cook differently)
- Mix thickening ingredients. Remove patties from cooker, turn cooker to high heat and stir in the thickening mixture. Return patties to cooker and cook an additional 15-20 minutes or until gravy is thick and flour is cooked.