As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
If your family loves roasted potatoes, then they’ll love this! Peas give it that little pop of color and a delicate sweetness.
If You Love Roasted Potatoes–
Then you are going to flip over this potato salad!
Roasting gives potatoes a great depth of flavor. It also makes them a bit crunchy. I absolutely love them and I don’t know why I never thought of doing a potato salad with them before.
Not that I haven’t seen various salads made with roasted potatoes; I have but they were always some complicated concoction with other additions I wasn’t crazy about. Let’s just say, I never made any of them.
You can roast the potatoes in the oven or do them on the grill. However, you’ll need a grill basket to do them in otherwise they will fall through the grates of your grill. A grill basket was one of the best purchases I made so if you do a lot of outdoor grilling too, you’ll love it as much as I do.
Potatoes: Make It Easy On Yourself
I used small gourmet potatoes. They’re the ones that come in a mesh bag or plastic pouch. These are already pre-washed and they are firm potatoes which is pretty much required for roasting–or salads for that matter.
The potatoes I used were Little Potato Company brand. I used the “Terrific Trio” variety. You get a good mix of red, yellow and blue in those. However, any brand will do and you don’t have to have a mix of colors therefore, one variety will do as well.
Peas are the perfect add-in for this potato salad.
They not only add a pop of color to a rather monochromatic dish, they also add a touch of sweetness.
You don’t cook the peas–well, if you want to do that, it’s ok too–you just defrost them and rinse them under some tepid water and you’re set to go.
Roasted Potato and Pea Salad
- 1 1/2 lbs small gourmet potatoes see NOTES
- 2 tbs finely chopped onion
- 1 cup frozen peas thawed, rinsed and drained
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tbs sour cream -OR- plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 tbs white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cut each potato in half and place in a large bowl. Drizzle with olive oil then place potatoes on a large baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake for 20-30 minutes, or until potatoes are done and golden.
- You may also grill the potatoes—prepare them the same way then grill over medium heat on a gas/electric bbq grill until golden and done. A grill tray (for small food that can fall through the grates) is necessary.
- Cool potatoes completely.
- Mix potatoes, onion and peas in a large bowl. Mix all dressing ingredients in a small bowl. Fold the dressing into the potatoes.
- Cover and chill until ready to use.