As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
This peach upside down dessert cake can be made with fresh, frozen or canned peaches. It’s a year-round treat.
Peach Upside Down Dessert Cake–Perfect Dessert
Summer is peach season so lots of desserts feature them.
This simple peach upside down dessert cake is one of those recipes. Since it’s simple to make, you’ll make it often and not only in summer! The reason is that you don’t need fresh peaches to make this cake.
Whatever variety you use, the topping is simply delicious–sweet and a bit tart and oh so buttery. This is sure to become a family favorite.
There’s nothing light and fluffy about this cake. It’s a dense and rich dessert-textured cake.
Because of this, it doesn’t rise much. So when you go to test it, don’t think something’s wrong because it’s kind of flat. That’s the way it’s supposed to be. But despite it’s texture, this rich cake will literally melt in your mouth.
The cake is also made with the old-fashioned creaming method. And remember when adding the wet and dry ingredients that you begin and end with the dry ingredients.
Any Kind Of Peaches
The really great feature of this peach upside down dessert cake is you’re not limited to what type of peaches to use.
Here, I used sliced canned peaches. You can also use fresh and frozen. That make this very convenient since you can enjoy this dessert in any season.
With canned peaches, you may have to slice thicker slices in half. The can I had were pretty inconsistent in size, but I don’t consider that a huge issue. Same applies to frozen peaches.
Peach Upside Down Dessert Cake
- 1 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbs sour cream
- 1 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 cups sliced peaches fresh, frozen or canned
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- reheat oven to 350F/180C.
- Place melted butter in an uncreased 9-inch/23 cm round cake pan. Sprinkle brown sugar over the butter and arrange peach slices evenly over the top.
- Mix the flour baking powder, salt and cinnamon in a small bowl; set aside.
- Beat the 1/2 cup butter and the sugar in a large bowl until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg and vanilla.
- Mix in the flour alternately with the milk, ending with the flour mixture.
- Drop cake batter on top of the peaches and spread evenly over the top.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let the cake stand for 10 minutes then invert onto a serving plate. Best served warm.