As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Jalapeño pillows are biscuits with a surprise inside! Easy snack!
Jalapeño Pillows Are So Easy
There’s a nice creamy surprise in the middle of these jalapeño pillows! Yep, a creamy, cheesy and zippy pepper filling!
I’ll admit I’ve been on a jalapeño kick lately. It’s one of my favorite hot peppers. Jalapeños have some heat but they’re not overly hot. I like to taste the pepper too instead of just the heat. Probably why it’s one of my favorites. When I grew them in my hydroponic garden, I used to let them get red ripe. If you grow them, let them get fully ripe; the taste is indescribably delicious.
Anyway, I’d overbought the peppers and wanted to use the last couple that I had in the fridge. I found this on the Pillsbury site and they sounded good.
The creamy filling in the center is very much like a jalapeño popper filling. Of course you can do any variation you want so long as it is a cream cheese and shredded cheese base.
For example cream cheese, shredded mozzarella and either some sausage or pepperoni would make them into a pizza-like snack. The sky is the limit and use your imagination. As my mum would have said, “It’s all good food.”
The original recipe called for refrigerated large flaky biscuits–their brand of course. However, I’m sure your own homemade biscuits would work fine.
At first I tried to use the frozen ones thawed. That didn’t work so I broke down and bought the ones in the can. I might add that I was and still am apprehensive about opening those cans. I am relieved to know I’m hardly alone in that feeling. But I steeled myself and came through it fine. I have to admit it’s the easiest way to go using the ones in the can. So, if you’re like a lot of us, just concentrate on how darn easy they are to use.
- 16.3 oz can large refrigerated biscuits 8 count
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp water
- 1 tbs pretzel salt optional
- 4 oz cream cheese softened
- 1/2 cup sharp cheddar shredded
- 3 tbs diced jalapeños
- 1 clove garlic finely minced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Preheat oven to 350F/180C. Line a baking sheet with parchment.
- Mix all filling ingredients; set aside.
- Beat egg with the water and set aside.
- Roll each biscuit to a 1/8-inch thickness. Place about 1 tablespoon of the filling in the center. Bring the dough up around the filling and seal well. Place seam side down on prepared baking sheet.
- Brush egg wash on top of each biscuit. Sprinkle with pretzel salt if desired.
- Bake 12-15 minutes or until golden brown and firm to the touch.