As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
|German Potato Salad|
Here’s another German deli staple–potato salad with a warm bacon-flavored vinaigrette. May be made in the slow cooker too!
I consider this more of a pickled potato than potato salad, being thoroughly American AND a mayo freak to boot.
|Nothing like it’s American cousin!|
It’s pretty much a culture shock the first time you eat this. I remember it well. I was at a German festival in New Jersey ages ago with my bestie and her aunt who’d recently married a German fellow.
I remember thinking when I ate this, “Hey this is NOT potato salad and why is it warm?” At least it was nothing like I ever ate before and truthfully, at first, I did not like it!!!
|Full of bacon!|
But over the years, your tastes can change (and marrying a German helped here too LOL) and while I prefer the good ole American variety, I’ve come to appreciate it’s German cousin too. It’s pretty nice served with brats or any kind of good German wursts.
Typically, this is eaten warm, but it’s also nice chilled.
German Potato Salad
- 1 1/2 lbs small red potatoes
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbs cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 tbs sugar
- 1/2 tsp celery seed
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbs flour
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Scrub potatoes well. Place in a large saucepan with enough water to cover potatoes. Add 1 tsp salt, bring to boil, reduce heat; cover and cook for approximately 25-30 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Drain water and let cool until they can be handled.
- When potatoes are cool enough to handle, slice them in 1/4-inch (approximate) slices, leaving skin on. Set aside.
- Slice bacon in 1-inch pieces.
- Mix the water, vinegar, sugar, salt, pepper and celery seed in a small bowl. Set aside.
- In a large (10-12-inch) skillet, cook bacon pieces until crisp. Remove from pan with slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
- Add the chopped onion to the bacon drippings and saute over medium heat until the onions are translucent.
- Add the flour, stirring until no lumps remain.
- Slowly add the vinegar mixture, stirring constantly. Bring to boil and stir for 1 minute.
- Add the potato slices and bacon to the skillet, gently stirring/tossing to coat potatoes with dressing.
- Can be served warm from the pan or chilled.
- Makes 6 servings.
- Slow Cooker Directions
- Cook bacon as directed in the recipe above.
- Slice raw potatoes in 1/4-inch slices.
- Layer half the potatoes and half the onions in a small (3-4 qt) slow cooker. Repeat with remaining potatoes and onion.
- Pour water over potatoes/onions. Cook on low 5-6 hours.
- Remove potatoes with slotted spoon to a plate.
- Mix the vinegar, sugar, celery seed, salt, pepper and flour, stirring so there are no lumps. Add vinegar mixture and stir until it thickens slightly. Let it cook for 5 minutes. Add the potatoes back to the crock pot along with the bacon, stir gently to cover them with with the hot dressing. Turn to low and cook an additional 30 minutes.
|German Potato Salad|
Copyright © Judith Hannemann aka The Midnight Baker 2015. All Rights Reserved. No part of this website may be reproduced without The Midnight Baker’s express consent.