This copycat recipe of Sonic restaurant’s extreme tots is so easy to make!
More Than A Side Dish
This Sonic copycat recipe of their extreme tots is more than just a side dish! This is really a complete meal.
Actually, this is a great meal to have in your arsenal for when you are pressed for time–such as the holidays. OK I know that’s several months away at this point, but I know how busy that time can be. However, throughout the year we all have days were there just doesn’t seem to be enough hours in that day or days where you simply don’t want to fuss. This recipe will certainly help during those times.
Shades Of Poutine
This recipe reminds me very much of poutine. Mainly because it’s dressed-up fried potatoes. This has a little Mexican twist to it though, so it doesn’t actually taste like poutine.
However, the main reason I love this recipe, besides it being fast, is that it’s super easy! Basically, it uses what you probably have on hand in the pantry and freezer. Most folks have a can of beanless chili on the shelf, especially if you make dips and such. And most of us have frozen potatoes in the freezer. OK this one uses tater tots, but in a pinch frozen french fries will do, but the tater tots–or frozen potato pancakes (same thing, different shape) will taste much better.
Fresh Is Better
I’ve seen a couple of copycat recipes for this and every one of them used canned jalapeños. I used fresh mainly because I had one jalapeño left over, but to me fresh always tastes better. I also mixed white and red onion because I like a lot of color in my food.
The curious thing is that I forgot to top it with shredded cheddar. You know what? It tasted good without it so you can skip the cheese if you don’t have any.
Sonic Extreme Tots
- 12 ounces Tater Tots
- 15 ounce chili No Beans
- 4 ounces shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 tbs chopped white onions
- 1 whole jalapeno, small sliced
- 1 to 2 tbs Ranch salad dressing
- Prepare the tater tots according to package directions. While the tater tots are heating up be sure to heat the chili in a small pan on the stove over low heat. When the tater tots are done place them in a small serving dish. Add chili, cheese, chopped white onions, pickled jalapeno slices, and drizzle with Ranch salad dressing.