As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Chunky tomato soup is quite possibly the best tomato soup you’ll ever eat. Quick cooking and easy.
Chunky Tomato Soup Tastes Like You Fussed
One taste of this soup will convince you that a great-tasting soup isn’t a lot of work.
When I first tasted this, it reminded me of pizza so I like to call it “pizza in a bowl,” but that might be misleading. However, if you don’t want to make pizza or go out for it, this might satisfy the craving.
This is also a soup you can make with common pantry items you likely have on hand. That’s a big plus in my book and you’ll definitely want to keep it in mind when you have unexpected guests–and who doesn’t during the holidays?
Easily Made Vegan
The soup is vegetarian–for those who include some dairy so there’s no substitutions necessary.
However, it’s easily converted to a vegan dish. The substitutions are easy; nut or oat milk can replace the cow’s milk. As for the croutons, you can always forego them but I understand the quality of vegan cheeses now is quite good. I’ve also heard that nutritional yeast is widely used by vegans to substitute for Parmesan. Of course, vegetable stock can replace the chicken. So this soup is quite versatile and can be served to practically anyone with some minor changes.
And if that isn’t all, it’s probably pretty light on calories too if you’re watching them.
Soup & Sandwich?
By all means! Especially if you’re serving people with larger appetites. For me now, a bowl of this soup suffices for a dinner. That wasn’t the case years ago though, so with guys and younger folks, a sandwich is probably necessary.
What is traditional with tomato soup–grilled cheese of course. With this soup I’d make a fancy grilled cheese made with mozzarella. Now it’d be more like pizza!
Chunky Tomato Soup
- 2 tbs vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tbs flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- 28 oz petite diced tomatoes 1 large can, don't drain
- 28 oz crushed tomatoes 1 large can, don't drain
- 1 tso dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 14 oz chicken stock or vegetable stock
- 2 cups white bread cubes
- 4 tbs olive oil
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook until soft. Add flour; cook and stir until moist. Gradually add milk, cooking and stirring about 2 minutes or until smooth and bubbly
- Stir in crushed and petite diced tomatoes, basil, oregano and stock. Cover and cook on medium heat for 15 minutes. Stir frequently and do not allow mixture to boil.
- To make croutons, toss bread cubes with olive oil and grated cheese. Spread onto baking sheet and place into a preheated oven at 350F/180C. Bake until croutons are golden brown, about 10 minutes. Top soup with crouton.