Santa will flip when you leave him these chocolate chunk cookies with a glass of milk!
A Cookie For Chocolate Lovers
Here’s a cookie that will really please all chocolate lovers!
These cookies have a load of dark chocolate chunks in them. It’s almost like eating a combination cookie and chocolate candy bar. It’s also said that dark chocolate is actually good for you because it contains a lot of antioxidants. I’m no health expert by any means. I just know good taste, but if that statement is correct, then it’s all the better!
The nuts, of course, can be varied. I used pecans, but walnuts, almonds and hazelnuts work equally as well. Conversely, if you don’t like nuts or have an allergy to them, they can be left out and won’t affect the deliciousness of this cookie.
If You Like Chewy, You Have It Here
One of the nicest features of this cookie is it’s slight chewiness. They are not soft cookies, but they do have a chewy element to them.
That chewiness comes from a good amount of ground oatmeal. And that’s another reason these cookies, while a sweet treat, have some redeeming nutritional value. This makes the cookie a relatively good source of fiber, although you never see the oats. They are ground finely to a powder–almost flour-like consistency so they are not noticeable in the cookie itself.
Make A Bunch Of Chocolate Chunk
Don’t be afraid to make a double batch of these chocolate chunk cookies! They freeze very well after they are baked.
I’ve even frozen the unbaked dough and have gotten excellent results when I finally baked the cookies. Therefore, they are truly great cookies for the holidays because they can be made ahead and defrosted.
So make sure to leave a big plate of these out for Santa!
Chocolate Chunk Pecan Cookies
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup unsalted butter softened
- 2½ cups ground oatmeal done by processing oatmeal in a blender or Ninja
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 cup dark chocolate chunks
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs and vanilla, beating well.
- Add flour, ground oatmeal, salt, baking powder and baking soda. Beat until combined.
- Stir in chocolate and pecans.
- Shape dough into 1 to 1½-inch balls and place 2-inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets (I use AirBake insulated sheets). Bake at 375 degrees F for 10-12 min or until light golden brown.
- Cool for 1 minute on sheet. Remove to rack to cool completely.
- Makes approx 4 doz cookies.