As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
A secret ingredient makes these cookies special and as a result make a cookie chewy.
The Ultimate Chocolate Chip Cookie
There’s not too many people who don’t love a delicious chocolate chip cookie.
And chocolate chip cookie lovers will flip over these because they are rich and chewy. They get additional great flavor from rich dark chocolate and citrusy orange. .
These cream cheese chocolate chip cookies are just full of surprises because you will never believe what they contain and by the same token, what they don’t.
Apart from the surprises, they’re ultra easy to make and do not require the dough to be chilled as many cookies containing cream cheese require.
Make A Cookie Chewy
Want to make a cookie chewy? Add a bit of cornstarch. Yes. Cornstarch.
You don’t add much. All it takes is one teaspoon per cup of flour to make a cookie chewy. It also seems to stop the cookies getting hard and brittle. Of course these cookies are so good, they won’t last long enough to get stale. So that’s something that requires little worry.
The orange zest may be left out if you like and make it a good old plain chocolate chip cookie and of course, you can use any variety of chocolate morsels you wish. I just have this “thing” about dark chocolate and orange.
Yes, It’s Eggless
Surprisingly, there isn’t a trace of any egg in these cookies. This make it a good choice if you have someone with an egg allergy.
I was dubious about the egg bit when I first tried the original recipe. I adapted Mary’s recipe because I like the fact that you don’t have to chill this cookie dough for hours. I want cookies when I want them and cooling (no pun) my heels for an hour or more doesn’t excite me.
Chewy Orange & Dark Chocolate Cream Cheese Cookies
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 tbs grated orange zest
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp corn starch
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups flour
- 12 oz dark chocolate chips 60% cacao
- Preheat oven. To 350F/180C. Line a large cookie sheet with parchment
- Beat cream cheese, butter and sugars until smooth and creamy. Add the vanilla and orange zest, beat to combine.
- Mix the flour, salt, soda and corn starch and add to the cream cheese mixture, mixing until just combined. Do not overtax.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Drop by heaping tablespoonful onto prepared sheets, spacing about 1-in/2.5cm apart.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until edges just begin to become golden brown. Leave on the sheets for about a minute, then transfer to a rack to cool completely.
- Makes about 18-24 cookies.