As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
|Byron’s Favorite Buttery Cheese Dog Biscuits|
These are my boy Byron’s favorite dog biscuits. Smells so good baking, you’ll try one too!
My guy really loves these. They smell so good baking, it’ll get your stomach rumbling as well as your dog’s. And that’s OK because these are perfectly fine for human consumption…you have to have good teeth….
|Smells so good baking, you’ll be tempted too!|
As with all my pet treats, you can use any flour you wish–except white all-purpose. My crew never had problems with wheat or corn, but if yours does, then just up the oats and omit the corn meal and use a non-wheat flour. The only key is getting a rollable dough however you alter the ingredients.
I’ve made my own for ages. Now if my dog is offered a commercial biscuit, he’s very lackluster about eating it–almost like he’s doing you a favor 🙂
I dehydrate my biscuits by leaving them in the oven after the bake time is done and the oven is shut off. Just let the oven cool down completely and the biscuits will be dry enough for storage, unless it’s very humid where you are. If that’s the case, then leave out enough for a day or two and freeze the rest. When I had my 4 German Shepherds in addition to Byron, I never had a problem with spoilage because the biscuits simply did not last!
Byron's Favorite Buttery Cheese Dog Biscuits
- 1 1/2 cups quick oats
- 1/2 cup corn meal
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter cut up
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup shredded cheddar or colby
- 2 cups whole wheat flour or any other flour but white
- 1/2-1 cup water*
- *Use only enough water to produce a rollable dough
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 1-2 large baking sheets with parchment.
- In a large bowl, combine the oats, corn meal and cut-up butter.
- Pour in boiling water and stir until everything is moistened; let stand until it's room temperature.
- Mix in the cheese, flour and just enough water to get a rollable dough.
- Roll out 1/4-inch thick and cut into your favorite shape(s). Even cutting in strips with a pizza cutter is OK because Fido won't mind...trust me!!
- Place cut biscuits on prepared baking sheets. Bake for 30-35 minutes. DON'T REMOVE FROM OVEN! Just shut the oven off and let it cool down with the biscuits in there. This helps dehydrate them for storage.
- When totally cool, place in a sealed container.
- Makes about 2 1/2-3 dozen depending on how they are cut. I got 2 1/2 dozen with a "medium" dog bone cutter.
Copyright © Judith Hannemann aka The Midnight Baker 2015. All Rights Reserved. No part of this website may be reproduced without The Midnight Baker’s express consent.