As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Blonde brownies are probably one of the easiest bar cookies you can make. They’re also perfect for the upcoming holidays.
Chocolate Is An Add-in
Blonde brownies aren’t entirely without chocolate. Chocolate appears in the form of chocolate morsels!
While you still get some good chocolate flavor, it’s not overpowering. I suggest using mini chips because they disperse better and you can use half the amount called for with regular-sized morsels because they do disperse better in any batter. I used regular size because that’s what I had on hand, but I do prefer the minis.
Great Butterscotchy Flavor
That great taste of butterscotch comes from the amount of brown sugar in the recipe combined with the butter.
Since much of the flavor derives from butter, please resist the urge to use margarine. The taste, of course, will not be as good.
If you like them, you could also use butterscotch chips instead of chocolate chips. They are a good substitute in case you’re feeding anyone with a chocolate allergy. They don’t taste bad either!
Another thing you could do is use half butterscotch and half chocolate chips. That’s a wonderful flavor combo.
These are one of the easiest bar cookies I make. There’s no muss or fuss to them and they come together in a jiffy.
Where nothing beats those “one-bowl brownies” for ease and especially clean up, these blonde brownies come pretty close!
Because they are easy and a bit different, they’re an excellent holiday cookie. I’m sure Santa wouldn’t mind a couple of these with a glass of milk!
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 3/4 cups packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup 1 1/2 sticks butter or margarine, softened
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup chocolate chips see NOTES
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease 15 x 10-inch jelly-roll pan.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt in small bowl. Beat sugar and butter in large mixer bowl until creamy. Beat in eggs and vanilla extract; gradually beat in flour mixture. Stir in morsels. Spread into prepared pan.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until top is golden brown. Cool in pan on wire rack.
*Adapted from Pillsbury