As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
|Apple Pie Cookies|
Apple Pie Cookies are as American as…well…apple pie!
|Just add a glass of milk or a cup of coffee!|
Apple Pie Cookies
- 1 pkg refrigerated pie crust 2 crusts
- 21 oz apple pie filling
- 1/2 cup caramel sauce
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- flour for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or use a non-stick sheet. Parchment is recommended HIGHLY.
- Bring crusts to room temperature as per package instructions.
- Chop the apple pie filling so the apples are in small chunks. You don't want the big slices. I used my food processor for this task.
- Beat the egg with the water in a small bowl. Mix the sugar and cinnamon in another bowl.
- Dust your work surface with a little bit of flour. Carefully unroll one of the pie crusts and place on the lightly floured surface.
- Using a rolling pin, roll the dough very gently until it's just slightly thinner.
- Spread the caramel sauce over the entire crust. Spread the processed pie filling on top of the caramel sauce.
- Carefully roll out the second crust and place that on a lightly floured surface. Roll as for the first crust, just slightly thinner.
- Using a pastry wheel or pizza cutter, cut this crust into (approximately) 1/2-inch strips. This is for the lattice top.
- Form lattice over the top of the other filled crust.
- Using a round cookie cutter that's about 2-3-inches in diameter, cut individual "cookies" and using a spatula to lift them, place on prepared baking sheet. There will be "bitsies" left over. Bake them up too...not as pretty but just as good.
- You can eliminate the cookie cutting step and just make a giant cookie. That way you don't get the odd "bitsies."
- Brush the tops of each cookie with the egg wash. Sprinkle each cookie with the cinnamon sugar.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until lattice tops are golden brown.
- Cool slightly and remove to a rack or plate to cool further. These may be eaten warm.
- Makes 1 giant 10-inch cookie or about 6 smaller cookies (with odd-shaped bitsies)
|Yummy Apple Pie Cookies|
Copyright © Judith Hannemann aka The Midnight Baker 2014. All Rights Reserved. No part of this website may be reproduced without The Midnight Baker’s express consent.