|Loaded Shepherd’s Pie|
This is my take on the classic Shepherd’s Pie. Loaded mashed potatoes and a surprise seasoning make the difference.
Then it came to me if I used loaded mashed potatoes on top of a well-seasoned meat base, this might just taste good. Hey, cheese and bacon–how can it not taste great?
|Delicious way to do Shepherd’s Pie|
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- ¼ cup onion, chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 pkg (0.87 oz) brown gravy mix
- Loaded Potato Topping:
- 2 lbs potatoes, pared and diced
- ½ cup sour cream
- 4 green onions, chopped
- ½ cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese*
- 4 strips crisp-cooked bacon, diced
- water for potatoes
- *You can use more cheese and any variety you like
- Brown ground beef, onions and mushrooms over medium heat in a large skillet. Drain fat and season with salt, garlic powder and brown gravy mix. (I use brown gravy mix as a seasoning in this, and the juices will make some gravy. If you want more gravy, add about ½ cup of water-I have not tested this!). Stir well and set aside.
- Place diced potatoes in an appropriate size saucepan–2 quart size should be fine. Cover with water and add about 1-2 tsp salt.
- Boil potatoes until tender. Drain very well.
- Mash potatoes with sour cream, until potatoes are not lumpy. Add green onion and bacon–you can reserve a small amount for a garnish, if desired. Stir in cheese–you can reserve about 2 tbs of this for garnish if desired.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place reserved ground beef mixture in a 9-inch deep dish pie pan. Distribute evenly across the bottom.
- Top with mashed potatoes, covering meat entirely.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for about 30 minutes or until potatoes begin to get brown around the edges and peaks.
- Remove from oven and garnish with reserved onion, bacon & cheese if you desired to do so.
|Layers of deliciousness|
Copyright © Judith Hannemann aka The Midnight Baker 2014. All Rights Reserved. No part of this website may be reproduced without The Midnight Baker’s express consent.
Follow The Midnight Baker Food, Glorious Food #7 on Pinterest