As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
These Sichuan ribs are quick and easy to make in your Instant Pot!
Sichuan Ribs: Perfect For Summer
Summertime is the perfect time for ribs and these Sichuan ribs fill the bill very nicely.
After the long hard winter many of us have experienced, all most of us want to do now that summer will be here soon is to be outside as much as we can. And being outside means one thing to we foodies–grilling!
These ribs are perfect when they’re finished off on the grill because they will develop that deep intense flavor. They can also be finished off under the broiler.
Fast Ribs Under Pressure
Cooking ribs under pressure is the fastest way to prepare them.
So if you have an Instant Pot or any other brand of electric pressure/multi cooker, you’re all set. Of course, a stovetop model will work just as well. The method used in either appliance is high pressure.
The amount of time you pressure cook the ribs depends on how you like them done. I cook mine for 14 minutes and that gives me ribs where you have to chew the meat off the bone. The bone-in ribs you get in the Chinese restaurant approximates the way I like mine done. If you like the meat falling off the bone, then you’d cook them for 18 minutes. It’s also important to release the pressure immediately. You want them to stop cooking when the time is up.
One of the best things about preparing ribs by pressure cooking in the summer is that it doesn’t heat up the kitchen! And finishing them off on the BBQ grill gives them a great flavor!
I warn you–the sauce is spicy because of the chili garlic sauce. What I do is serve most of the sauce as a dipping sauce. I dredge the ribs very lightly with sauce before I grill them so you get some flavor but not a punch in the jaw as far as spiciness goes. Also, if you can’t find black bean sauce in your store, you substitute hoisin sauce for it. Hoisin is already in the sauce you’d just use more.
Sichuan Style Ribs
- 6 lb pork baby back ribs about 2 racks
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup hoisin sauce
- 1/2 cup oyster sauce
- 1/4 cup black bean sauce
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup chili garlic sauce
- 1 tbs pancake syrup
- Place ribs in the Instant pot. Add the water and soy sauce. Cover, seal and cook on high pressure 15 minutes. Release pressure immediately. Remove ribs to a plate and set aside.
- If you don’t have an Instant Pot, place the ribs in a large dutch oven, cover with water. Add the soy sauce. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour.
- Mix all sauce ingredients together and set aside.
- Cut ribs into serving-size portions (1-2 ribs). Preheat broiler or outside BBQ grill to high.
- Brush ribs with about 1/2 cup of the sauce. Place on grill or in broiler until sauce is bubbling and ribs begin to get crisp and slightly charred.
- Serve with additional sauce for dipping.
*Post contains affiliate links