As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Make mashed potatoes quickly in your Instant Pot. No peeling required and they are rustic and delicious too.
Instant Pot Quick
If you want mashed potatoes on the double, look no further than your Instant Pot!
This reduces your cook time to 8 minutes! Another thing that is a boon is that a pressure cooker doesn’t heat your kitchen. Now you can enjoy mashed potatoes even in the summer!
Do Them Conventionally Too
Of course you don’t need an Instant Pot to make these delectable mashed potatoes. You can also make then the conventional way on the stovetop.
The cooking time will be around 30 minutes because you have larger pieces of potato to boil.
When I make mashed potatoes conventionally, I generally slice the potatoes about 1/8-1/4-inch thick to reduce the cook time. However, since these potatoes have a rustic air to them, you want a few larger lumps incorporated into them, hence the larger chunks to cook.
No Peeling Required
Nope, no peeling is necessary here. You want these mashed potatoes to be a bit lumpy and rustic. It’s part of this dish’s charm.
Also, don’t pull out your electric mixer or ricer to prepare them either. An old-fashioned hand potato masher is what you want for this job, and you’ll use that utensil very lightly too. Practically no elbow grease is required either!
Instant Toasted Onions
One of the ingredients is instant toasted onion flakes. These look like regular dehydrated onion flakes only they are toasted so they are darker in color.
Since I am not sure of the availability everywhere, I am giving an alternative that tastes just as good.
I am able to get the toasted onions in a local dollar store, so I consider myself lucky. But if you cannot find them, you can use regular dehydrated onion or even better, caramelized onions! I have a work-free recipe for slow cooker caramelized onions that you can use–and you can also freeze the excess for later use.
Instant Pot Red Skinned Mashed Potatoes
- 3 lbs red potatoes scrubbed and cut into 2-inch chunks (don’t peel)
- 1 cup water
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 3/4 cup warm milk
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter softened
- 1 tbsp dehydrated toasted onion flakes see NOTES
- 1 tsp instant dehydrated minced garlic -OR- 1 large clove finely minced
- 2 tbsp minced fresh parsley -OR- 1 tbs dehydrated
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Place potato chunks in the Instant Pot (or any electric pressure cooker), add the kosher salt and the water. Process on manual for 8 minutes (or high/15 psi on other pressure cookers)
- Release pressure and drain potatoes well.
- Using a hand masher, lightly mash the potatoes. Add just enough of the warm milk so the potatoes are creamy but not soupy. You may not use the entire amount, or you may need more warm milk, depending on how creamy you like them.
- Add the butter, toasted onions, garlic and parsley. Stir to combine.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
*Post may contain affiliate links