As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
|Classic Macaroni Salad|
Simple but classic macaroni salad. Just like the old-time diners served.
Sometimes you just have to get back to basics. Does anyone make real macaroni salad anymore? Personally I like some fancier pasta salads, but it’s all you see anymore with everything from goat cheese to truffles.
I don’t want “frou frou” all the time to be honest and no matter how fancy some of these “pasta salads” get…and I gotta love the name change like it’s moved uptown LOL…plain old every-day non-gourmet macaroni salad still has it’s snobbish cousins beat by a mile.
|An American classic|
There’s nothing at all fancy in this–just good old pantry ingredients. And whatever you do–no fancy-schmantzy mustard. This classic uses good old American yellow mustard like the stuff you get at the ballpark. That’s the reason the dressing tastes so good!
You can even eliminate the julienne carrots. I just put them in because a) I had them in the fridge and wanted to use them and b) it gave the salad a little more color and crunch.
Just enjoy the heck out of this salad with a nice juicy burger, hot dog or some fried shrimp. Nothing could be better!
Classic Macaroni Salad
- 2 cups elbow macaroni uncooked
- 2 stalks celery finely diced
- 1/4 cup red onion finely diced
- 1/2 cup julienne matchstick carrots
- 1 1/4 cups mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp yellow mustard
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- Cook elbows per package directions. Drain and rinse; place in a large bowl and set aside until cool.
- Add the celery red onion and matchstick carrots to the cooked elbows; mix well.
- In a small bowl, mix all the dressing ingredients.
- Add dressing to elbows and gently mix to coat all the macaroni.
- Cover and refrigerate for about 1 hour.
- Serves 6-8 as a side dish.
Copyright © Judith Hannemann aka The Midnight Baker 2015. All Rights Reserved. No part of this website may be reproduced without The Midnight Baker’s express consent.
Follow The Midnight Baker Food, Glorious Food #7 on Pinterest
Follow The Midnight Baker’s board The Midnight Baker on Pinterest.