Add to Recipe Box
Go to Collections
Extra Cheesy Chili Dog Casserole
Chili dog casserole is the perfect kid-friendly comfort food. Using extra cheese makes it even better!
Servings: 6 people
For the Chili
- 1/2 lb lean ground beef browned and drained
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 8 oz tomato sauce
- 15 oz kidney beans drained and rinsed
- thai chile pepper or hot pepper of your choice, I used one small pepper
- 10 oz tomatoes with green chiles (like Rotel)
- 1 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
For the Casserole:
- 2 pkgs refrigerated biscuit dough extra large, like Grands
- 1 lb hot dogs
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese preferably sharp cheddar
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 16 slices sharp cheddar cheese 1/4-inch pieces (I use Kraft Cracker Barrel Sharp)
- 2 green onions scallions chopped for garnish
Place all chili ingredients in a 7-cup rice cooker and cook until unit switches to "warm." For stovetop, add all chili ingredients to a large saucepan, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until juice is reduced by about 50 percent, about 20 minutes
To assemble the casserole: Meanwhile, cut slices of cheddar cheese off a block of cheddar. Cut hot dogs in half crosswise (you will have 2 hot dog pieces, so you have 2 WHOLE sections of franks). Make a slit on the top of each hot dog half and insert the cheese slices. Set aside.
Open biscuit dough and separate biscuits. Flatten each biscuit slightly. Place a cheese-stuffed hot dog portion in each biscuit and about a teaspoon of chopped onion. Bring ends of biscuit up around hot dog and seal. Set aside.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray or grease a 13 x 9 -inch baking dish.
Place chili in baking pan. Top with biscuit-wrapped hot dogs. Sprinkle with one half of the shredded cheddar cheese.
Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes, or until biscuits are brown and crusty on top. Add remaining half of the shredded cheese. Bake for an additional 5-10 minutes. Garnish with chopped green onion.
Serving: 2biscuits | Calories: 815kcal | Carbohydrates: 39g | Protein: 51g | Fat: 51g | Saturated Fat: 29g | Cholesterol: 175mg | Sodium: 1844mg | Potassium: 901mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 1533IU | Vitamin C: 10mg | Calcium: 877mg | Iron: 7mg