Add to Recipe Box
Go to Collections
Classic Hungarian Goulash is surprisingly easy to make in one skillet. It's a rich, hearty stew, perfect for a comfort food dinner.
- 1 lb stewing beef chuck, shoulder, shank cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 large onion sliced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3 tbs Hungarian or Spanish smoked paprika see NOTES
- 2 tsp caraway seeds crushed
- 3 tbs olive oil
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 cups diced potatoes
- 3/4 cups diced tomatoes
- 1 tbs sugar
- 3 branches fresh thyme or 1/2 tsp dried thyme leaves
- 3 sprigs fresh oregano or marjoram, or 1/2 tsp dried
- 1 bay leaf
Heat a large skillet or saute pan over medium high heat. Add oil and heat until oil shimmers (it should shimmer when you add it if the pan is hot enough)
Place beef in the hot pan and brown well on all sides.
Add onion and cook until translucent, then add the garlic, caraway and the paprika. Stir well.
Deglaze the pan with the wine then stir in the chicken stock. Cover and cook for approximately 45-60 minutes over low heat or until beef is almost tender.
Add the potatoes, green peppers, sugar, tomatoes and herbs. Cover and cook for 30 minutes longer or until potatoes are tender.
Remove cover, increase heat to medium high and reduce sauce by 25%.
Top each serving with a dollop of sour cream, then top that with the carrot salad (recipe in NOTES)
- Smoked paprika is recommended. The mild variety is preferred. If you want any "heat" to this, add a dash or two of cayenne.
- Carrot Salad: 1 cup cooked baby carrots cut into matchstick pieces, 3 tbs chopped fresh parsely, juice of 1/2 lemon. Place all ingredients in a small bowl and mix well.
- Crock Pot--prepare as in original recipe up to deglazing the pan. Then transfer the skillet contents to the crock pot and add the rest of the ingredients. Cook on low about 5-6 hours, high about 3-4 hours. Times are my best guess as I didn't prepare this in the slow cooker.
Serving: 0.25recipe | Calories: 426kcal | Carbohydrates: 31g | Protein: 33g | Fat: 19g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 74mg | Sodium: 254mg | Potassium: 1224mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 2813IU | Vitamin C: 33mg | Calcium: 114mg | Iron: 8mg