This brisket is slow oven roasted in a richly flavored BBQ liquid.
A Great Way To Make BBQ Brisket
BBQ brisket is best done low and slow!
As this one cooks, the flavor of this savory sauce infuses all through the meat.
This one can be done in the oven or the slow cooker. If you want this treat in summer, then I suggest using your slow cooker.
Crock pots are a great summer appliance because they don’t heat up your kitchen. So don’t store it away for the season–it should be your “go-to” appliance for comfort food in hot weather.
The Secret: Coffee!
All the sauce ingredients have great flavors by themselves, but the one thing that pulls it all together is….coffee!
You don’t know it’s in there, but it adds a deep and rich flavor. Actually, coffee acts much like chocolate in savory recipes. It’s the thing that ties all the other flavors together. Coffee adds earthiness to most any recipe that calls for it.
Serve Hot Or Cold
This brisket is delicious hot, but it’s also great served chilled!
One great thing to use it for is sandwiches. It’s just great with the re-heated sauce served over the meat in the sandwich or used as a dipping sauce.
A brisket sandwich on a hard roll is one of the most popular deli sandwiches in New York City.
- 3 lbs beef brisket (thin first-cut)
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 tbs canola oil
- ½ cup freshly brewed black coffee
- ½ cup ketchup
- ⅓ cup Worcestershire sauce
- ½ cup chili sauce
- ½ cup honey
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tbs soy sauce
- Preheat oven to 325 degree F.
- Rinse brisket well and pat dry. Rub with the coarse salt and pepper.
- Heat a medium-sized Dutch oven over high heat; add the canola oil and brown brisket on all sides then drain excess oil/fat from the pan. Place the meat back in the pan.
- Mix all the sauce ingredients together in a small bowl and pour over the brisket.
- Cover and place the pot in the oven. Cook for 2½ - 3 hours (or when brisket is tender) basing with the juices every so often.
- For Slow Cooker
- Brown meat as in oven recipe.
- Place browned brisket in a 5-7 quart slow cooker.
- Mix sauce ingredients and pour over meat.
- Cover and cook on low 8-10 hours, high 6-8 hours (times approximate)
*Adapted from Martha Stewart Yum