Great cake-like muffins with a surprise center filled with cheesecake! These can be made without the cheesecake filling. Still a fine pumpkin muffin. Recipe will make either 6 Texas muffins or 12 regular-sized muffins!
Start by mixing the filling~
Cover each muffin with remaining batter and top with streusel crumbs~
- dry ingredients:
- 1½ cups flour
- ½ tsp each baking soda, salt, nutmeg, cinnamon
- ½ tbs pumpkin pie spice
- wet ingredients:
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ of a 15 oz can (about 1 cup) pumpkin puree
- ½ cup plus 2 tbs vegetable oil
- streusel crumbs:
- ½ cup sugar
- 5 tbs flour
- 1-2 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ cup cold butter cut into chunks
- cheesecake filling:
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 tbs flour
- Beat together the cheesecake filling ingredients; chill.
- Mix together all ingredients of crumb mixture except butter. Cut in butter until fine crumbs are formed. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix the dry ingredients. Beat the wet ingredients until well blended. Add the dry ingredients and mix until just moistened. DO NOT OVERMIX.
- Line or grease muffin tins. Place a scant 2 tbs of batter into each muffin cup. Add about 2 tsp of cheesecake filling to each muffin cup. Top with remaining batter (see above photo for how much each cup should be filled) and sprinkle top of each muffin with streusel crumb mixture.
- Bake at 350 degrees 20-25 min for regular sized muffins. Bake 35-40 min for Texas sized muffins (check for doneness at minimum time).
- Remove from oven and cool on racks.