This chicken is absolutely yummy. Best part of it is, it uses very little fat, unlike most oven-fried chicken recipes. In fact, you can eliminate the fat entirely if you are using leg quarters or thighs with the skin on. Breasts, because of the low fat content (even with skin on) will require the fat, as well as skinless parts. Chicken is very juicy and flavorful due to the brining process.
I serve this many times cold with my Herbed Potato Salad with Pesto Aoli and a green salad. Nice hot too with either a baked potato or mashed and whole steamed green beans.
- 1 whole frying chicken, cut into pieces
- 1 cup flour or baking mix (such as Bisquick)
- 1 envelope dry ranch salad dressing mix
- 2 tbs butter/margarine OR olive oil
- 2 quarts water
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup kosher (coarse) salt