|Delicious Asiago meatballs|
Mini Italian Meatballs
- 1 lb lean ground beef (I used 93%)
- 2 eggs
- 2-3 tbs grated asiago cheese
- 2 tsp. dehydrated onion or 1 tbs chopped fresh (chop it fine)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 cup (or so) fresh soft breadcrumbs
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- pinch of basil
- 1 tbs olive oil for frying
Place all ingredients, except olive oil, in a medium bowl and mix well. Meat mixture will be pretty soft.
Form into meatballs about the size of a walnut. You should get approximately 20 meatballs.
Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Brown meatballs on all sides. Reduce heat, cover and cook 10 minutes, or until internal temperature is 160 degrees.
Preparing the sandwiches
- 4 sub rolls, about 6-inches long
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 tbs parmesan or romano cheese
- 1 tsp dehydrated parsley
- 1 cup pasta sauce, like a marinara (if you like it really saucy, use more sauce)
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- 20 meatballs
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray a 9 x 13-inch pan with non-stick spray.
Place rolls in prepared pan with slits facing upward (if you cut the rolls yourself, only cut 3/4 of the way through). Place 5 meatballs in each roll then 1/4 cup pasta sauce over the meatballs in each roll. Brush the exposed parts of the rolls with olive oil and sprinkle with the parsley and cheese.
Bake for 20 minutes. Top each roll with 1/4 cup of the shredded mozzarella (yes, you can add more cheese–MUCH more if you want!!!). Return to oven and bake for an additional 10 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly.