How do you say pure heaven but purely easy? It’s this fantastic dessert that will have them begging not just for seconds, but thirds.
Start with a single-layer cake mix, a can of apple pie filling and you can’t get simpler than that. I buy the Jiffy brand cake mixes since it’s a convenient size for me, but you can use 1/2 of a regular double-layer cake mix if that’s what you have.
I used almonds, but any nuts you have on hand will do–or none at all if you are not into nuts.
Serve with real whipped cream, or just cream poured over the top. Also is terrific served a la mode.
This is a real winner.UPDATE: I just recently made this and didn’t melt the butter but cut the butter into the cake mix as you would pie crust or crumbs. MUCH better!!
French Apple Pie Cobbler
Author: Judith Hannemann
- 1 can apple pie filling
- 1 box Jiffy single-layer yellow cake mix (or ½ box of a 2-layer size)
- ¼ cup butter, melted
- 2 tbs sliced almonds
- 2 tbs chopped walnuts
- 1 tbs butter
- 2 tbs dark brown sugar
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Spray or grease a 9 x 5 x 3-inch pan (loaf pan). Spread apple pie filling evenly across the bottom
- Break off bits of the 1 tbs of butter and dot the filling with it.
- Top with the dry cake mix; spread cake mix evenly across the top.
- Drizzle the ¼ cup of melted butter evenly over the top of the cake mix.
- Sprinkle nuts over the top
- Mix the 2 tbs of dark brown sugar with the cinnamon. Sprinkle evenly across the top and over the nuts.
- Bake at 350 for 35-45 minutes, or until center of cobbler feels solid to the touch and brown sugar begins to caramelize.
- Serves 6