|Chicken Cheese Dog Biscuits–“Mommy Cookies”|
Boy do my guys love homemade dog treats. And I love making them!
I’ve been nervous about feeding my guys *ANY* store-bought treats ever since those scares from a few years ago.
When I make my own, at least I know what goes into the stuff…and I think THEY know too!!!
I keep them in a cookie jar that is shaped like a gift box and my guys KNOW that’s where the good stuff is kept. Yep I always have a back-up of store bought, and that I keep in a purple Lock & Lock. They aren’t quite so enthusiastic when I go to open the purple container. They get this look like, “Oh that cr*p?” LOL. We also call them, “Mommy Cookies,” and when I say this, I get the mad dash to the gift-box cookie jar accompanied by LOTS of anxious barking!!!!
I’m telling you, these smell SO good baking YOU’LL want to taste it…I have!!! They are nice–like a high-class cracker–but you’ll want to save these for your dogs.
I have dog biscuit cookie cutters and even though I have German Shepherds (and one little beanbag of dubious origin), I tend to use the medium cutter–maybe 3-3 1/2 inches long–and I’ll get about 36 biscuits.These are my dog biscuit cutters:
The original recipe calls for beef and cheddar cheese and I got it from Brown Eyed Baker. She’s got lots more dog treats on her site too. Plus you can read all about her beloved Einstein, a gorgeous Goldie.
FYI–I avoid using leavenings in dog biscuits (baking powder/soda). A small amount that most recipes call for is harmless, however it IS TOXIC to dogs in larger amounts so I just leave it OUT.
Chicken & Cheese Dog Biscuits (aka "Mommy Cookies")
Author: Judith Hannemann
Serves: 36 biscuits
- ¾ cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup quick oats
- ¼ cup butter, cut up
- 1 cup boiling water
- ⅓ cup dry milk
- 1 egg beaten
- ⅔ cup chicken stock (or 1 stock cube + ⅔ cup water)
- 1 cup shredded cheese (I tend to use mild cheddar)
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment (preferred) or lightly grease.
- In a large bowl, add the cornmeal, oats, butter and the 1 cup of boiling water. Stir; let stand for about 15 minutes so the oats absorb the water.
- Add the remaining ingredients, stirring in only as much flour to make a stiff dough.
- Turn out on lightly floured surface and knead until smooth...maybe about 2 minutes. Divide dough in half. Roll to about ¼-inch thickness. Cut with biscuit-shaped cookie cutter or use anything you have handy (your dogs won't care, believe me!! Fancy just pleases MY eye). Place on prepared baking sheets. Repeat with the other half of the dough.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes. Turn off oven and let the biscuits remain in the oven until it's totally cool. This dries the biscuits.
- Store in a covered container.
- Makes about 36 3-inch biscuits.
|Chicken & Cheese Dog Biscuits–Mommy Cookies|
|Two of my guys with my sister & brother-in-law|