Here’s a great buttermilk oven-fried chicken that’s just as crisp deep fried. Double dipped and cooked in only a tablespoon of oil!
Crisp Oven Fried Chicken With Little Oil
It’s hard to believe that this oven fried chicken comes out so crispy with only a tablespoon of oil!
The secret to the crispiness is preheating the baking sheet and the oil! This is a little trick I recently learned and I was very anxious to test it out!
Because you preheat the pan and the oil together, I’d strongly recommend using a metal pan or baking sheet. Adding cool chicken to the hot pan can cause breakage in glass or ceramic due to thermal shock. So play it safe with a pan that won’t break!
Messy But Worth It
I warn you upfront–this is messy to prepare!
As with any egg dipped and flour-dredged coating, your hands get very messy from the buildup of flour and liquid. A good pair of tongs works well here–if you’re comfortable using them.
I can never get the right rhythm with the tong method–no matter how many times I try. Therefore, I use my hands and they get very messy so I constantly have to rinse them off. I kid that my hands have fungus, which always gets a laugh.
I wish there was a super-easy and non-messy way to do this, but I haven’t discovered it besides the tongs.
To prevent the flour from getting gloppy from the dipping, I only add enough to coat a few pieces then add more fresh seasoned flour for the next batch.
I also find it more convenient to use an oblong pan for the flour dip because it gives you space to roll the chicken in the coating.
- 8 bone-in chicken pieces (thighs, drumsticks, breasts or a mix)
- 1 tbs oil (see NOTES)
- Buttermilk Dip:
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¾ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp hot sauce (optional)
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tbs kosher salt
- 1 tbs paprika (smoked variety is best)
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 tbs garlic powder
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp sugar
- Place the oil in a large baking sheet--a 15 x 10 jelly roll pan works well--or a large baking pan (metal roasting pan works well too).
- Put the pan in the oven and preheat to 350 degrees F.
- Whisk together all the buttermilk dip ingredients in a large bow.. Mix all the coating ingredients in another large bowl. See post for hints.
- Dip the chicken in the buttermilk mixture then the coating mixture. Again, dip the piece in the buttermilk mixture and coating mixture.
- Place the chicken, skin side down. in the hot baking sheet. Bake for 25 minutes.
- Turn chicken skin side up and bake for an additional 20 minutes.
- Skin may also be removed before preparation. Dip, coat and bake as per instructions.