This broccoli swiss cheese casserole side dish is not only easy to prepare, but so delicious, they’ll come back for seconds.
This recipe came my way via Facebook friend Ginny W. We belong to a small recipe group and Ginny was raving about the couple of recipes she’d made from a new cookbook she just bought (a Gooseberry book called “Big Book of Country Baking” available at Amazon – Gooseberry Patch Big Book of Country Baking: Over 400 sweet & savory recipes for every meal of the day)
|They’ll come back for seconds|
Anyway, she had pics of hers and said about how easy and delicious this was. It looked positively yummy. And since I always have broccoli, because I love the stuff, and soup bases and CHEESE, I just had to make this since I wanted another broccoli-cheese casserole in addition to my Buttery Broccoli Cheese casserole
The original recipe calls for 1 cup of shredded swiss cheese, but I always go overboard and added double the amount. However, if you’re not as into cheese as me, then use the lower amount. It will still flavor the casserole nicely.
|Full of cheese|
I made up the amount of chopped broccoli (because I only had one brick pack of it) with a whole bag of broccoli florets (16 oz bag) that I roughly hand chopped. So if you don’t want to go the chopped route, using small florets would be a good substitute.
|Broccoli Swiss Casserole|
This was also the maiden voyage of the baking dish I used. Fans of mine know that I’m a devotee of a couple of brands of bakeware–some high-end, and some very affordable.
|Temp-Tations Floral Lace in Light Blue|
This is Temp-Tations Floral Lace in light blue. It was also my first set in this color–my “Temp-Tationista” friends know I’m pretty much a dark cobalt gal LOL, but I just loved this shade and wanted to add it to my collection. I wasn’t sorry–it’s stunning! You can see the Floral Lace line (and many others) at Temp-tations.com
- 3 pkgs (10 oz. each) frozen chopped broccoli, thawed
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 can (10.75 oz.) cream of mushroom soup
- 1 egg
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1-2 cups shredded swiss cheese
- ½ cup plain bread crumbs
- 2 tbs butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly spray or grease a 1.5 quart baking dish.
- Drain chopped broccoli well. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, lightly beat the egg. Add the soup, onion and mayonnaise. Whisk together well.
- Add the drained chopped broccoli and the cheese. Spoon mixture into prepared baking dish.
- Mix the bread crumbs with the melted butter, mixing well to make sure they are all coated with butter. Sprinkle buttered crumbs on top of casserole.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 35-40 minutes or until casserole is bubbly.
- Serves 4.
|So delicious, they’ll beg for more|
Copyright © Judith Hannemann aka The Midnight Baker 2014. All Rights Reserved. No part of this website may be reproduced without The Midnight Baker’s express consent.Yum