OMG–when I saw these about a week ago, I was itching to do them….but my way.
I was in love when I first saw what these were. I never knew such a concotion existed until a reader on my recipe page on Facebook asked for a recipe.
If we don’t have a recipe handy between all the admins, we go searching. I was the one who found them and learned something too.
The recipe I gave our fan was from Oh Bite It. I liked her fast and easy way to do this and wanted to do something more to my taste AND what I had on hand.
I don’t usually have “wampum” biscuits on hand, but I do have baking mix. Didn’t want to open a sealed package of mozzarella, nor open a cheddar–but these can happily substitute for my cream cheese–which I DID have open.
Also had a couple of stray scallions and for some reason, wild chives are growing all over my front and side lawn. I took advantage of that!!!
So I made my own biscuits, added the chives to the biscuit mix and a touch of scallion in the cream cheese. Plus I got to use my 99 cent bacon I picked up last week.
You’ll have to use LONG toothpicks to secure the bacon. I have a box of club picks–those are the nice long toothpicks used for making club sandwiches–so I used those but took off the frilly cellophane thingies before I used them here. I think you can buy small skewers too, but I used what I had on hand. I also did not use the entire piece of bacon. I cut each slice in half…mainly because it was a bit of a pain in the butt to wrap the ENTIRE thing with the bacon. This was easier and you still get plenty of bacon flavor…ok less fat too, but who wants to count fat or calories with THIS!!! OMG it’s deep fried too. Dieters BEWARE!!! However, these are a guilty pleasure so DO enjoy…and they reheat very nicely too.
The amount of “bombs” you get may vary from mine. I got 8 biscuits out of what I made and I cut those in 1/2. I used about 1 tsp of cream cheese in each. The diameter of my biscuits were approximately 2.5-inches as I used a regular-mouth ball jar as a cutter.
You *can* use a tube of pre-made biscuits for this. Just unroll, cut each biscuit in 1/2 and fill with about 1 tsp of cream cheese.
Author: Judith Hannemann
- 1 cup baking mix (i.e. Bisquick)
- ⅓ cup milk
- 1 tbs minced fresh chives (or 1 tsp dry)
- 2 oz cream cheese (this measure is APPROXIMATE)
- 1 scallion, chopped very finely
- 8-9 slices of bacon
- oil for frying
- Mix baking mix and chives together. Add milk and stir until dough forms a ball. Depending on atmospheric conditions, you *may* need a drop or 2 more of milk.
- Turn dough out on lightly floured surface and knead a few times. Roll out dough about ¼ inch thick and cut out biscuits. The diameter of my biscuits was about 2½-inches. Cut each biscuit in half.
- Mix the cream cheese with the chopped scallion. Put about 1 tsp of cream cheese in the center of each biscuit half. Seal the biscuit dough well around the cream cheese and roll into a ball.
- Cut bacon slices in half. Wrap a half bacon slice around each biscuit ball and secure with skewer.
- Heat about 2-inches of oil in a deep saucepan to 375 degrees. Fry about 4-5 “bombs” at a time. Fry for about 10 minutes total, turning once. Remove with a slotted spoon and place on a paper-towel covered plate. These may be kept warm in a 200 degree oven while frying subsequent batches.